Sunday, February 12, 2012

Science Exhibits and the Antarctic sky

10:15am Monday, 2/13/2012
17°F

Last Antarctica-related post! Four posts in a row. I am going out with a flurry of activity.

There are several neat displays in the main hallway of the lab building (Crary) that I worked in. I realize that I focused on the displays with rocks. My geology background seems to have influenced me….

Exhibit hallway

Petrified wood!

Sign for the petrified wood
Another petrified wood sign










Kenyte (aka Erebus Crystals)
Volcanic bomb from Mount Erebus
Lichens in sandstone
New Yorker cartoon

Here are evening shots from the last couple of nights.

The moon!

Mount Erebus with the sun behind it

I am off to my flight off the continent! I can't believe it's been two months already. This has truly been the adventure of a lifetime. 

2 comments:

  1. Gosh, is this really the last Antarctic post? Thank you for all the sharing. Those are interesting exhibits. And a very exclusive travel attraction. Like Scott’s Cabin. An NPR science reporter recently described his visit to the cabin. See you soon. Pismo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Julie, would you please send me an email at andrea.herbert --at-- canterbury.ac.nz when you read this? I am hoping to get your permission to use one the blog photos in a paper. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete