Friday, December 9, 2011

Before deployment (test post!)

Alright. This is a post from Columbus to test out my setup and format. (I'll admit mine isn't as nice as my brother's http://blog.davidfrederickbrown.com/. His is really pretty! I copied his title. I figured simple is best). 

Here are a couple photos that inspired/solidified my choices that led me to my upcoming adventure.



This photo is from my first trip to Castle Lake in early May 2009. It was one of my first inklings that I wanted to do hydrology/geochemistry field work in adverse and cold conditions! The person in the red jacket is my Masters adviser, Simon, carrying an expensive instrument. Thank goodness he has balance. This trip was the first field work that I did for my Masters and it was one of my favorite experiences of my time in Reno. The weather was miserable. It was cold, windy, sleety, and snowy. I had a wonderful time.







I went to Montana in March 2011 to do some field work with colleagues of Simon's at Montana Tech. This trip was really fun. It was fascinating getting to do the field work I'd been doing at Castle Lake in snow and the cold, with the exception of my second to last trip to Castle Lake when there was a minor blizzard. There aren't any photos from that trip. During this trip to Montana I also got to experience St. Patrick's Day in Butte and ride on a snow mobile for the first time. Those were two very memorable experiences!

4 comments:

  1. Wow !! So looking forward to your blog--- even these photos are tremendous. Love that your "about me" says my "first" trip to Antarctica !! You are already planning a return visit ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo Hoo! We will have to check in often! When do you leave?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annie- I hope to go again! Susie- Thank you! Christine- I got to Antarctica ~7hrs ago!

    ReplyDelete