Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Snow School (short)

11:55pm Wednesday, 12/21/2011
30°F


I survived and thrived in Happy Camper (snow/survival school)! It was two days of snow camping, safety and survival training, and just plain awesomeness. We learned a lot and had fun in wonderful sunny and calm weather. I shall elaborate more later. This evening I went to the grand holiday show put on by the supply folks of McMurdo, hence my late post, and I don't have time to write for long. I need to go to bed and get a good night's sleep because I am in the field tomorrow for a day trip. I'm heading to Taylor Valley to collect water samples along Priscu Stream. Tomorrow a little after 10am I get to ride in a helicopter for the first time in my life... For now, here are a couple photos from Happy Camper:


This is how we got from McMurdo to the sea ice. It's
called a Delta and it's tires are as tall as I am.

A view of our lovely kitchen and dining room during happy camper. My
group and I constructed it from scratch with shovels, saws and sleds!  

3 comments: